I like South Park ! One of my favourite episodes was the "Imaginationland" trilogy. The whole idea was crazy, they found a portal to the imaginationland and then weird things started to happen. The terrorists and the american army were also involved and an epic battle over taking control over Imaginationland. A land which was a creation of the people's imagination. These all events started with Eric Cartman's search for leprechauns.
I started to wonder, could you create a country out of nothing. Wouldn't that be cool if you and your friends could just decide to pick an area and create your own country. You could rule all the things there and make your own rules.
First of course you could explore the whole world and choose the best option. I mean it couldn't be any place if you can choose whatever you want.
How stupid would it be to create your own country in a place where you can't live while it's too hot or cold, or there are only mountains or the place just sucks and is far away from everything.
Well guess what ? You're a lucky reader, this is the create-your-own-imaginationland post ! This ambitious goal has been succeeded before, the current state of Israel is the best known imaginationland currently.
We'll see who creates the next one, but who knows maybe it's YOU. The Palestinians lived over 1300 years in the region before they were started to be wiped out stage-by-stage which continues still these days there.
The ingredients to create an imaginationland and transform it physically in reality are these:
An ambitious person who has visions and good imagination
A couple of friends who have enormously power and money
Catastrophes like tsunamis, earth quakes or world war !
Imaginative books with mythologies which have "foretold"
that the certain land belongs to you and your friends
Hmm, yeah.. I think that's the minimum you need to create your own country. In the case of Israel this ambitious person to push forward the plan was a zionist called Theodor Herzl. The powerful people were big politicians and bankers in USA and Europe.
The creation was going on during First and Second World War and 1948 Israel was already an independent country. The Torah was the holy book of judaism and it stated that Israel was the holy country of the jew. It wasn't mentioned exactly where Israel should be... There wasn't any coordinates given, that was quite good. You could decide where to create Israel.
There were a lot of good suggestions actually were they should have created it. It seemed like everyone had their own opinion where Israel should be situated. I think it's a shame that there weren't any televisions in the early 1900s and especially reality shows.
Imagine how entertaining it would have been to set up a reality show where the best suggestions would be made and then the audience could vote for the best option or there would be professionals to judge and make the decisions like in Idols.
How entertaining is that, when you have judges with personality equivalent to Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, Randy and others who are legends in our reality shows. Only in this programme they would create a country from thin air.
So here we go, here are the contestants that competed over being Israel.
1. USA, Alaska and Grand Island. Grand Island in the Niagara river is the Ararat City plan. 1825 Mordecai Manuel Noah wanted to found a Jewish homeland at Grand Island. He called it Ararat after Mount Ararat, the biblical resting place of Noah's Ark. He erected a monument there which read "Ararat, a City of Refuge for the Jews". The other plan in USA was Alaska for jewish settlement. The Slattery Report offered the area of Sitka in Alaska by F. Roosevelts secretary of the interior Harold L. Ickes.
2. Kenya, the British Uganda program. This idea was introduced 1903 in the annually held Zionist Congress. The offer was made by British Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain. He offered 13 000 square miles of the Mau Plateau which is today Kenya. There was a fierce debate and some went to inspect the area, but there were lions and other dangerous creatures so the offer was declined. They wanted a better land.
3. USSR, there were various places offered from the Soviet Union. Komzet, Birobidzhan, Khabarovsk, Ukraine. A lot of places were offered to be set for the Jews to have their own region. Most of them were so far away and in so harsh conditions that the plans didn't advance.
4. Madagascar, on of my favourites The Madagascar plan. This was a plan suggested by the Third Reich government of Nazi Germany. They wanted all the Jews out of Europe to Africa or some other colony. They were quite serious with their plans but in the end it wasn't succeeded.
5. Guyana, In March 1940 the issue of an alternative Jewish Homeland was raised. Present Guyana the former British Guiana was discussed as an option then. But the British Government thought the issue was too problematical and the decision has to be thought in the future more.
6. Australia, there were 2 plans considering Australia. Isaac Nachman Steinberg had the Kimberley Plan to resettle Jewish refugees in the Kimberley region but it was failed. Later there was a plan to offer the Jews Northern Australia as their Jewish State. This area is the current Northern Territory. It was the year 1933 then. The US had a better suggestion and offered Palestine roughly the same time.
7. Cypros, In the early 20th century Theodor Herzl proposed Cyprus and El Arish on the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt as a site for Jewish settlement. The environment was quite good and also the location. Aren't those the most important things you consider when buying a house ? Not bad idea, and not far from the final decision Palestine.
8. Albania, In 1935 British Zionist journalist Leo Alton traveled to Albania at his own initiative to see if it would be possible to establish a Jewish nation there.
9. Japan, Rabbi Marvin Tokayer and Mary Swartz published a book called The Fugu Plan in 1979. In this partly fictionalized book they tell about the different plans before and during the WW2 to create jewish settlements to Japan.
10. Argentina and Chile, the Andinia plan suggested the areas of these countries. It was said to be extreme right-wing idea but no real evidence exist, so it might be only a conspiracy theory. But not a bad idea, the area is pretty good.
My comments if I was a judge picking the area for Israel:
Alaska doesn't sound good, it's too cold and far away. Any other American state isn't good either, there's no space either, they have only 50 states.
So there's no space for a Jewish territory. Madagascar and Kenya are exotic and the nature is beautiful. Soviet Union, no no no. Guyana, well that's next to Venezuela we could rob their oil. This is a really potential idea. Australia is far away from everyone, but I like the idea of Israel being in Australia and speaking laid back like the aussies. Japan is good also to influence on Asia, but something's missing. South America, I wouldn't do that. Too many bolivarians breathing behind me.
Actually I think Palestine is much better place than these.
I mean it has been ridiculously easy to wipe out the palestinians. Taking all their land away in front of the whole world and even killing them has been sooo easy because nobody seems to care about it. In the end the biggest western countries support Israel, incredible. Who else could succeed in a megalomanic plan like this. But all you living in the places that were considered to be Israel... if you're kenian, south american, north american, albanian, australian, madagascarian or where ever ... IMAGINE your life in the alternative reality of the world where your country has been transformed to Israel.
How do you feel ? The country your family has owned hundreds of years is taken, your grandfather's shop is destroyed in a bombing, your family's house which your dad built is destroyed or the new settlers take it and live there themselves.
People out of nowhere claim they own everything and you have to abandon your country to another country. Or if you're lucky you can live in a refugee camp where conditions are bad. If you have children they are kidnapped or killed, still no country in the world helps you.
You are totally alone, no one has the courage to help you. You remember past times when you were succesful, had a good job or business.
There were enough food, even too much, you had hobbies, friends, a great family. Well that's the past, now you should be happy to get even food. If you dare to fight against the force who took the land of your people... you're a terrorist.
The most angering thing is, the people who took your land ask: Why do you hate us ? Why are you so angry and fighting us ?
This is not fiction. This is real life, that happens every single day in Israel. The Palestinian areas are shrinking all the time until there is no Palestine. I would say 95% Israeli people are innocent and don't even won't this to happen. The media is controlled by big forces and propaganda is used to make people ignorant in the world, that makes these absurt things to happen.
But imagine, the same might be happening to you in an alternative reality NOW !